Statue of St. Judas Thaddeus - the tenth one on the right looking from the Old Town Bridge Tower
the tenth one on the right looking from the Old Town Bridge Tower
The sandstone statue was created by Jeroným Bedřich Kohl in 1708 and donated by František Sezima, the knight of Mitrovice, Nemyšle, and Jetřichovice (1668–1720). The pose of St. Jude Thaddeus holding the Gospel and a club, with which he was beaten to death by pagans, seems conventional and somewhat static. On the simple Baroque pedestal, there is the Latin inscription To the devoted friend of Jesus Christ: 1708. Kohl’s concept of the saint became almost an impartive for Jude’s portrayals. In the late 1940s and during the August occupation in 1968, the statue of the protector in difficult situations was surrounded with hundreds of candles of those praying for a happy ending.